When you pack your bags to explore the beauty of your own country or to travel around the world, consider these keys to a happy journey:
- Travel lightly. If you don’t, this will probably be your greatest frustration.
- Travel slowly. Jet planes are for getting places, not seeing places; take time to absorb the beauty and inspiration of a mountain or a cathedral.
- Travel expectantly. Every place you visit is like a surprise package to be opened. Untie the strings with an expectation of high adventure.
- Travel hopefully. “To travel hopefully,” wrote Robert Louis Stevenson, “is better than to arrive.”
- Travel humbly. Visit people and places with reverence and respect for their traditions and ways of life.
- Travel courteously. Consideration for your fellow travellers and your hosts will smooth the way through the most difficult days.
- Travel with an open mind. Leave your prejudices at home.
- Travel with curiosity. It is not how far you go, but how deeply you go that mines the gold of experience.
- Travel with imagination. As the old Spanish proverb puts it: “He, who would bring home the wealth of the Indies, must carry the wealth of the Indies with him.”
- Travel fearlessly. Banish worry and timidity; the world and its people belong to you just as you belong to the world.
- Travel relaxed. Make up your mind to have a good time.
- Travel patiently. It takes time to understand others, especially when there are barriers of language and customs; keep flexible and adaptable to all situations.
- Travel with the spirit of being a “citizen of the world.” You’ll discover that people are basically the same in the world. Be an ambassador of goodwill to all people.
- And lastly, travel with a journal. Write your own stories. Keep a journal. Your photos and journals are life-long treasures to remember your unique discoveries and memorable experiences. I wish you unique and memorable experiences.
A motivated travel professional will work toward building a strong relationship because they truly “care” that you have a wonderful travel experience. They want you to return to them for future travel and to refer them, with confidence, to your family and friends. Truly a “Win-Win” relationship.
Melodye Martinelli runs a travel company “Let’s Travel Together” in Houston , Texas , USA .